Friday, July 2, 2010

Moon Mullican Boogies

02-8-10... So, I thought my know-it-all friend might have learned his lesson when he asked if I'd take the Jets over San Diego for five bucks. He learned nothing, asking me two weeks ago if I'd let him win back his five by taking New Orleans in the Super Bowl. Honestly, I had no preferences in either game. I just wanted to see high-quality, competitive football. I did, and now, he owes me ten. Just goes to show that nothing's for certain in this life, and nothing's ever for certain when it comes to sports. They are the "Aints" no more. Congratulations to the New Orleans Saints on their first-ever Super Bowl win.


One thing is for certain: do the crime and you'll do the time, either in prison or elsewhere. Stonewall Jackson learned it. He's still got Life To Go.

02-10-10... Look, I ain't sayin' I'm for or against her, but Sarah Palin's no dummy. Does anyone really think she needed those messages written on her hand to jog her memory? No. She knew it would keep her in the forefront of the news cycle for days on end. Four and counting... mission accomplished.

Johnny Cash has the best ingredients for what makes a music icon -- he writes memorable, sing-along melodies, and lesson-learning, story-telling lyrics. Here's one of hundreds from his library that fits the bill. Home of the Blues

02-12-10... The next several posts will be from records purchased at a yard sale upon which somebody'd spilled something on them. Soda, beer, piss, who knows and who cares? I'm into the music, and I'm not overly concerned with quality of the sound. (just in case you hadn't already figured that out!) Some of these titles are kinda hard to find, and I'm glad to have them in any format or condition.

First up is Moon Mullican, one of those nearly forgotten pioneers. By the time rock and roll had made the scene, Aubrey Mullican was in his 50's, but his piano and vocal stylings mixing black (Negro) blues of the South, western swing and honky tonk paved the way for soon-to-be megastars like Jerry Lee Lewis, Elvis, and Bill Haley. I suggest you Google his name and learn more, but I will share one little-known fact with you. He co-wrote Jambalaya with Hank Williams, but because of his contract with King Records he couldn't publicly take the credit, even though he did collect royalties on it.



I'll let his music speak for him. This here was his biggest chart hit, recorded in 1951, and if your toe doesn't tap there's something wrong with you. Some group did this song a few years ago. Don't remember who, but do remember it paled in comparison to Moon Mullican's version of Cherokee Boogie.

Links to these 2-minute mp3 audio samples are HERE

No comments: